A Helping Hand For Michigan Families
Over 120 years of combined legal experience advocating debt resolution for our clients.
We look forward to earning your trust.
Avoiding Bankruptcy in 2023
We understand that filing for bankruptcy is no ones “first choice”. While there are many benefits to be gained from filing for bankruptcy, we are always honest with clients during the initial free consultation. We counsel people on other options they may have to resolve their debts and/or if filling for bankruptcy is simply not the best route based on their current circumstances. If you are struggling with debt, we encourage you to give us a call. We offer free in-office of phone consultation to aid you in your decision-making process. We advocate to resolution, plan and simple. Ignoring the problem will not fix it, so we suggest finding the resolution path that is right for you to avoid the anxiety associated with stressed finances and further deterioration of your credit score if action is not taken. Call us today at 866-261-8282 to speak with a licensed attorney.
If you are trying to avoid bankruptcy and work on correcting your budget and improving financial concerns before they get out of hand, here are some practical suggestions:
1. Create a budget and stick to it: One of the most effective ways to avoid bankruptcy is to create a budget and stick to it. A budget will help you keep track of your income and expenses and ensure that you are living within your means. You can avoid overspending and falling into debt by sticking to your budget.
2. Pay off high-interest debt: High-interest debt, such as credit card debt, can quickly spiral out of control. To avoid bankruptcy, it is essential to pay off high-interest debt as soon as possible. This can be done by consolidating your debt, negotiating with your creditors, or working with a credit counseling agency. We do not suggest taking out a loan on a secured asset (i.e. your home) or against your retirement to satisfy unsecured debt obligations. This can jeopardize your most important assets for a secure financial future. If we can’t pay off high interest rate debt and you are simply “treading water” every month, it does make sense to consider filing for bankruptcy.
3. Increase your income: Another way to avoid bankruptcy is to increase your revenue. This can be done by taking on a second job, starting a side business, or negotiating a raise at your current job. Any additional income can be used to pay off debt or build an emergency fund.
4. Cut expenses: Reducing your expenses is another key way to avoid getting into debt and relying on a bankruptcy. This can be done by cutting back on unnecessary expenses, such as eating out or subscription services, and finding ways to save on essential expenses, such as groceries or utility bills.
5. Build an emergency fund: An emergency fund is a savings account that can be used to cover unexpected expenses, such as medical bills or car repairs. By having an emergency fund in place, you can avoid using credit cards or taking out loans in the event of an emergency.
6. Seek professional help: If you are struggling to avoid bankruptcy, it may be beneficial to seek professional help. Acclaim Legal Services can help you navigate your best debt resolution options and find the best solution for your financial situation. We can help you understand the pros and cons of bankruptcy and alternatives to bankruptcy, such as debt settlement or debt consolidation.
In conclusion, avoiding bankruptcy in 2023 requires a combination of budgeting, paying off high-interest debt, increasing income, cutting expenses, building an emergency fund, and seeking professional help.
Acclaim Legal Services is here to help! Call us today for a free consultation. Acting early and finding a long-term debt solution are keys to achieving finance peace of mind.
Attorney Christopher W. Jones Quoted in DS News Magazine
- May 23, 2023
Michigan Foreclosure Forecast for 2023
- May 12, 2023
Avoiding Bankruptcy in 2023
- May 09, 2023
Attorney Christopher Jones was nominated and voted to become a 2022 Super Lawyer
- Oct 17, 2022
What to Expect About Your Credit Report After Your Discharge
- Jul 04, 2022
Thank you Acclaim Legal Services!
I have been a client if Acclaim Legal Services since 2004. The legal services that they have provided for me during the time that I was experiencing some financial challenges, saved my home, car, credit, and dignity. I did not know what I was going to do,…
I wanted to take a few moments and offer a sincere THANK YOU for all the hard work that everyone at Acclaim Legal Services has done so far on my Chapter 13 Bankruptcy case. As you know, this process has a lot of emotional attributes for the filing person and is not a position I ever foresaw.
First of all, we would like to thank you for all you guys have done. I appreciate the honesty, dedication and passion that you guys exhibited towards our case and answering my questions in a fast and complete manner. Given the situation, I know now I made the…
I would like to thank your firm especially Chris Jones and Cindy for all the help they provided in my case. Bankruptcy is not an easy thing to go through and not always easy to understand the terms and terminology that is used. Your team was extremely helpful…